Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dr William Woods House - 41 Superior Avenue

Dr William Woods House - 41 Superior Avenue
© Michael Harrison 2011

This large home was built for Dr. William Woods in 1910 to plans by the renowned architect William G. Rantoul which appeared in the July 1905 Ladies Home Journal; and adapted by  James Layrock Havill, a Toronto architect.

Dr. William Woods House - Goad Fire Insurance Plan for Mimico and New Toronto 1913
courtesy Library and Archives Canada  

William Woods was born in 1879 the son of Patrick Woods and Grace Stock (daughter of Edward Stock).  Patrick was born in Ireland in 1844 and immigrated to Canada with his family in 1850.  He married Grace Stock in 1872.  The family lived on Church Street (Royal York Road) in Mimico.  Patrick and his son Patrick had a butcher shop there, while his son William operated his dental practice from their home.  In the 1901 census William reported earnings of $350 a year.

Dr. William Woods married Dawn Tout in 1904 and the couple moved into their new home probably in early 1911.  By 1911 they had three daughters:  Josephine (b. 1905), Grace (b. 1906) and Georgina (b. 1910).

Dr Woods had a long involvement with the education sector in Mimico including being a member of the Public School Board, the High School Board and the Separate School Board.  He also added architecture to his list of accomplishments when he designed St. Leo's Separate School in 1926 - Mimico's first Roman Catholic School.   It was based on the design of the Catholic School associated with St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church in Toronto Township (present day City of Mississauga) near the corner of Dixie Road and Dundas Street. 

Descendants of the family lived in the house for over 100 years before its sale to new owners in 2011 who have lovingly restored it to its original glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment