Wednesday, November 9, 2011

William Palk House - 46 Stanley Avenue

William Palk House - 46 Stanley Avenue
© Michael Harrison 2011

The large impressive home on the north east corner of Stanley and Victor Avenues was built about 1907 for William H Palk.

William Palk was born in 1857 in Toronto and was the son of Thomas Palk and Mary Nicols.  Palk worked as a gilder at Matthews Brothers and Company in Toronto.  The company manufactured mouldings, picture frames and mirrors.

In 1888 he married Annie McDonald and they had four children:  Norman (b. 1889); Jenne (b. 1891); Mildred (b. 1895) and Grayce (b. 1899).  

They originally lived in Toronto but by 1894 were living on Church Street (present day Royal York Road) in Mimico. 

They moved to their new impressive house on Stanley Avenue in 1907.

The family remained in the house until sometime after 1922 but would later move to 14 Glendale Avenue.

It was there that William died on October 26, 1936.  A private funeral was held there on October 28th after which his body was transported to St. James Cemetery in Toronto for burial.

The building does not appear on the City of Toronto's Heritage Inventory.

1 comment:

  1. According to Doctor Murray Black, a descendent of the Paulks, the house was built in 1901. The house originally had a second story veranda but both verandas were torn down when the house became a multi unit rental property. It was rescued in 1993 and the new Veranda was built and designed by the current owner Jim Farrell.