Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hester Drummond House - 230 Royal York Road

Hester Drummond House
© Michael Harrison 2011

The last great home still standing on Church Street (now 230 Royal York Road) is the Hester Drummond House.  The large house was designed by Gibson and Simpson, Architects and built in 1890 for Hester Doel, widow of John W. Drummond.




Hester Drummond
Biographical Record of York County 1907

The home is large, three stories tall with a turret on the north side. It was originally sited on a much larger lot with ample gardens and lawns around the house.  However in the 1960s the lot was severed and the home directly to the north was built.

John W. Drummond was born in Toronto in 1817.  His mother died when he was a child and his father was lost on a whaling expedition and never seen again.  In his youth he was apprenticed to Jacques and Hay furniture manufacturers of Toronto.  He later went to New York City to learn more about the furniture business and upon his return to Toronto in 1840 entered into partnership with his brother-in-law and established his own furniture business.  

He married Hester Doel in 1847 and they had five children.  Their eldest daughter Hester became the wife of Austin Werden, postmaster and merchant at Mimico.  John Drummond died in Toronto in 1881 and about 1890 his widow Hester and their daughter Evelyn moved to their large home in Mimico at the north west corner of Church and Drummond Street.

The house remains as a reminder of the large homes that once graced this area of Church Street (Royal York Road).


The home does not appear on the City of Toronto's Heritage inventory.


In April 2011 it was up for sale at a price of $1,070,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment